Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Festivities

I arrived in Texas on Thursday right before lunch. In a normal fashion I hit the ground running helping my mom work and get things done before the weekend started! My hometown has a festival every year called the National Polka Festival. It is usually a HUGE deal but since the town endured a tornado a couple of weeks ago things were a whole lot different this year.





The Main Street of the town is closed so the parade that kicks off the festival had to be re-routed along with all the booths and food vendor stations. There are a number of activities that accompany this festival ranging from 5-10K races, dances at halls and a Texas Country Music concert. I have not been to the festival in 5 years! Crazy how time has a way of creeping past!

I decided to participate in the 5K race with my cousin, I figured this would be a nice way to welcome myself back!






It was a lot of fun and I did really well considering I haven't ran in months! Cody (my cousin) came in at 24 minutes and I came in a minute later at 25 minutes.

After the race we headed over to Cody's house to shower and get ready for the parade and big day ahead. My dad had duty at one of the booth's to raise money for a fellow co-worker who is battling cancer so we walked around and browsed what the festival had to offer while we waited for his shift to finish.

Once 1 o'clock rolled around it was time to head to one of the halls for lunch! There are 4 halls in my hometown and they all serve the same Czech meal for lunch during the weekend of the festival. It is so yummy and I looked forward to eating it as soon as I got into town!


After I ate I was pooped since I had to get up so early for the race. We headed back home and all took naps and around 5 went back into town to get some things for our Polka Fest dinner!

We went with an All American theme since it was Memorial Day weekend. Sliders, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, chips and dip and fruit salad! The perfect ending to a long day! 

The next day we loaded up and went to Dallas to celebrate my Mom's birthday. Her birthday fell on Memorial Day this year so we decided to celebrate a day early so she would have a day all to herself!






Her birthday brunch was a success! 

My mom decided to take a scenic route on the way home so we got to see these amazing horses! We were in complete "aww" of them.







The weekend was a very eventful yet fun one! I enjoyed being with my family for Polka Fest and being able to be with my mom on her birthday! I hope everyone is having a smooth recovery from the 3 day weekend!

Love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment