Thursday, August 23, 2012

Let the packing commence....and may the odds be ever in MY favor!

Hellooo!

Happy Thursday!

I do not know about y'all but this week has flown for me! We are down to only 8 days left here in Memphis. I had to start packing because my In-laws are coming in tomorrow and have offered to take some things back for us when they leave. Super grateful for that or we would be up to our eyeballs in luggage while we are in Nashville! Our parents never cease to amaze me when it comes our baseball life. They help us in every way they can and it is so helpful!

Our day started early today because Jess had an "appearance" at the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. It really wasn't EARLY but early to us is before noon since we don't hit the sack until around 2am. He and some other players went and met some of the patients and colored with them. Jess said he spoke to one of the little girls parents that was there. They told him that before they came to St. Jude's the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with their little girl. Since they could not figure out what was wrong the doctors referred them to St. Jude's and once they got there the doctor's at St. Jude's figured out the problem. The little girl had a brain tumor. They started treatments and their daughter went from a 15% chance of living to a 75% chance. I am sure there is way more to what they shared with Jess, this is just the high points of what he told me of their conversation.

I gathered over the phone that Jess was really touched today. He said "those kids were smiling so big when we walked in, like we were somebody"....I replied with "y'all are somebody!" What my husband doesn't understand and what A LOT of people don't understand is that although he may just play minor league ball, they still have the power to impact someone. They may not be a player with a huge salary in the big leagues, or driving that ridiculously nice Range Rover, but none of that matters to these kids. These children have no concept of what a "status" is. They are fighting for their lives and having visitors come play with them is all that matters.

This was the first time Jess had been to that hospital. He gets kind of nervous and doesn't like to publicly speak so those kind of events he shy's away from. I am glad he was able to go though, it makes leaving and this season coming to an end a little more sweeter.

Jess is the second one standing on the left

Im off to finish some packing. Im sure I will come out bumped and bruised like I always do? Don't ask me how, I never know how it happens it just does :)

Tomorrow is Friday! Smile!

Love, 
E

No comments:

Post a Comment