Sunday, August 19, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up

Hey y'all!

How is/was the weekend?

Mine? It was really nice! It started out a little rough but rounded out nicely today.

Friday afternoon we learned that one of our long time baseball friends and Jess' teammate had been released. I met Mark and Lauren Hamilton when I was 19 years old. They were one of the first couples I met in Jess' career. While Lauren is 5 years older than me we have remained friends throughout Jess' career even when he was with other teams. We picked back up where we left off once Jess returned to the Cardinals last year.

I know a lot of people have a huge misconception as to what this lifestyle entails. I know that on the outside it looks like we have it "made in the shade", traveling the world and moving from here to there. While I will be the first one to tell you it is a heck of a lot better than a desk job, it still holds it's share of heart ache. As a baseball wife you endure heart ache for your husband, heart ache for other teammates and heart ache for the teammates wives and children. Mark and Lauren have a little girl who turned 2 on Thursday. I have had the pleasure of watching her grow and change throughout the past 2 years and I was so sad to hear about what had happened. Just like that, our long time friends, gone. The time it takes to pick up the phone and dial that player's number, say the words of "I'm sorry but you have been released", they are gone and out of a job and in this case at the end of the season. You see, every man on a team is in a different situation. Mark was on the 40-man so he will be compensated until the end of the big league season is over. While Jess who is not on the 40-man (if were in the same situation as Mark and was released) would not be compensated and we would lose our insurance coverage at 12 midnight the night he was released. There are many details I could on and on about explaining how this works but I would really rather not. It's too confusing and chances are you will be even more confused than before. I did not share this story with you to make you feel sorry for me, pity me or any of the other wives. I shared it because this blog is therapeutic for me. It's an outlet for me to get out everything I am feeling about this lifestyle out and all our lives entail. I would never ever change what we go thru or how our lives are for anything. I am grateful for the events, obstacles and situations God has put us in and I have spent everyday this season thanking God that Jess has a job because as you can see it can change quickly.

I ended up speaking to Lauren around game time that Friday night. She seemed fine and said that Mark was surprisingly upbeat. The funny thing about baseball is that it may not workout with this team but it eventually will workout with another team. I will continue to pray for their family and I hope that they find their place soon.

Saturday morning Jess left for his 4 game road trip to Iowa. He left about 4:40am which equaled me not going back to sleep until 8:45....brutal. We didn't go to sleep until around 1-1:15 the night before so I was still tired. I finally made it out of bed around 10. I then did a little reading and met up with Lauren Dickson. She was heading to her parents house in St. Louis so she offered to take our roommates stuff (we have had quite a few roommates this season, I will share more on that tomorrow) that they had left here to them. I was so thankful she was able to do that for us!

That afternoon I hit up Jerry's Sno Cones with our Bible Study teacher and one of the other wives. It is a Memphis hot spot that everyone raves about. Jerry's is definitely different when it comes to their spin on sno cones. I am used to getting sugary juice that is served over some shaved ice. At Jerry's that is only half the case. Here is what an average sno cone at Jerry's looks like....


Yes, ladies and gents that is ICE CREAM in my sno cone! Not only do they offer vanilla, they offer chocolate as well! It is heaven in a styrofoam cup my friends! I chose dreamsicle as my flavor and I do not regret it one bit. It was perfection!

After our little afternoon snack I headed to Barnes & Noble. My husband, God love him, has decided to make a lifestyle change. I don't know if I even have the nerve to tell y'all what he is doing. Oh, this is so hard. He is...he is taking carbs out of his diet. Jess has decided to take on the "Paleo" lifestyle and completely eliminate carbs from his diet. Sadly for him he married a woman who is in utter and absolute love with carbs and she will not be giving them up. She CAN'T!....and won't :) unless he makes me or persuades me with those sweet green eyes of his. Luckily for him I am a devoted wife so while he is making the lifestyle change I am the one who gets to do the research. Cooking for a "Paleo" eater is way harder than I imagined. Almost everything is a carb. This I did not know, and could have lived happily ever after not knowing but won't and now will feel guilty with knowing how many carbs I actually do intake daily/weekly/monthly.


I found 3 Paleo books then wandered over to the good stuff (you know the stuff I'm actually interested in). I ended up only getting 2 Paleo books and a book for my enjoyment.

After I finished at Barnes & Noble I had a few more errands to run and then I headed home just before the sun set. I captured this on the drive home.


I know, I know, I know I shouldn't be taking pics while driving I just couldn't resist. It was just too pretty to ignore.

When I got home I made dinner and checked Jess' game. The game tracker gives me MAJOR anxiety so I just check the box scores. He came in during the 3rd inning and pitched a total of 2 1/3 innings with 4 strike outs. I was so happy for him! May all the Glory be to God because Jess may be out there pitching and performing it is only thru God that he is able to do so. We are so thankful to him and for him.

I hope y'all enjoyed the weekend! I hope school has kicked off well for all of y'all!

Love,
E

P.S.
There are only 15 days left in the season....cray!

No comments:

Post a Comment