Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Parents

Today I want to talk about Parents. I am very lucky to have the parents that I have and on top of my own parents I am very lucky to have the in-laws I have as well.

You see my parents were only 17 years old when they found out I was interrupting their life. Their lives got insta-complicated and at that point in time being pregnant at 17 was kind of a death sentence. My grandma on my mom's side couldn't have been more beside herself about the situation and my grandpa on my dad's side couldn't be more disgusted.

My dad got a job at a factory in Ennis right away but once he came home all cut up from the work he had to do in the factory my grandma Emma (my dad's mom) refused to let him go back. God, I love that woman! My dad told me that after that whole mishap he told my mom he was enlisting in the Army because that would be a steady income for us. Wow! I can't even imagine being an Army brat! I mean I could totally rock being a brat just not an Army one!

Luckily my dad found a job at then Elk Corporation now GAF. He has worked there my entire life. He is the supervisor of the MAT plant and I can truly say he LOVES his job. I call him the work natzi because he goes in early and stays late, and has always done this since I can remember.

Unfortunately even though my parents were blessed with my grand entrance he nor my mother were able to go to college. They had to go straight to work after high school graduation and weren't able to be the average teenager like everyone else. I would say that they handled becoming parents, husband and wife and full time workers very well. I know it was hard, it had to be but they gave me and my sister anything and everything we could ever want and still do.

Over the years my dad has received some awards at work and this year my mom and dad both got two very prestigious awards. My mom received the Top 250 Latino Real Estate Agents in the U.S. award and my dad received the Raise the Roof Team Achievement Award for leading his team in successfully figuring out a safety hazard challenge.

And as this post is directly toward my dad today I want to reiterate just how much I love and respect both of my parents. They have done so much for me and still do everyday. I am nothing without them and I have leaps and bounds of respect for them. I struggle daily with the fact that they still work 7 days a week all day everyday and I have the life of a nomad and get to travel and see the world and all it's glory. They are the hardest workers and give even more than they work to others. I hope one day to have hearts like their's but I just don't think I will ever achieve that. They are true angels and I thank God everyday for choosing me to be one of their daughter's.

I will stop boring you now with my sappy story about how much I love my parents.

Jess is backing up today in Kissimee against the Astros. I will let y'all know if he got in or not.

Happy Tuesday y'all!

Love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment