Monday, March 18, 2013

A Nice Gift

In my last post I mentioned how busy we would be this past week. Well we were and the week came and went faster than before.

Jess had his first official outing on Saturday. Verlander started the game for Triple A and then once he reached his pitch count Triple A pitchers fell in line as the proceeding innings changed. Jess closed the game in the 9th with 3 up, 3 down. He looked great and his velo was on point. The first batter flied out, the second batter broke his bat and grounded out and the third batter struck out. They were playing the Washington Nationals and our roommate from last year Brian Broderick threw 2 innings for them. He as well looked on point and I was so happy for him and Jess. Broderick called me down to the player's entrance once the game was over and we caught up real quick. He seemed so happy and he concurred that he was much happier this season. He will always be one of our dear friends and we wish him all the luck in the world.

Yesterday I went to Church and then a luncheon some of the wives and Bible Study teachers put on for us. Only about 6 girls showed up but it was nice to hangout and visit like we did. Plus even though Jess didn't have to go on the road for the Triple A game he and the others that didn't have to go had to stay and watch 5 innings of the High A team. So that left me some time to burn and I figured getting to know some girls wouldn't hurt ;)

I went into this season with the mindset that we were here for Jess to play ball. I wasn't interested in making any friends and sure as heck didn't feel like hanging out with anyone. I have been burned in the past and just didn't want to repeat that again. The Detroit Tigers Organization or better yet the people in this organization have made me throw that mindset out the window. I feel as though this team has so many genuine, caring, REAL, God-fearing, faith founded people in it. People you want to be surrounded with and men I want Jess to be around.

During Bible Study last night some of the big league guys shared their testimonies and their ups and downs in baseball. I wanted to slap myself right out of my chair after hearing one of them say that he had been designated 7 times in his career! I seriously thought we had the sob story of it all and Jess has only been designated 3 times. Which in no way am I under-minding that but it was a real eye opener that we aren't the only ones this game has hurt. I know a lot of times Jess feels pinpointed in the failure department in comparison to his close friends James and Chris. Truth be told though, we all have different stories and different paths. It might seem unfair to us, (Lord knows he has heard us both say and think it a million times) but it is what has to happen in order for us to be the people God intended us to be.

We received some very nice gifts last night at Bible Study and I just wanted to share a picture of them with y'all.


The picture above is a book called "God's Promises" that has our names embellished on them. Below is the note the Bible Study Chaplain from Detroit wrote us. Everyone who has been coming to the study got one and I was so touched by this. 


As spring training starts to wined down and pandemonium starts, whether we end up with this organization or not I will always cherish who we have met and all we have learned from the people here. I am so thankful God put us here and hope that we touched just as many people that we were touched by.

Rumor on the street is that rosters plan to be set by the 24th. Please pray for Jess to to be at ease through it all. I will let you all know as soon as cuts start to be made.

I hope everyone had a Happy St. Patty's day yesterday!

Love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment