Tuesday, March 26, 2013

From where I sit....


As I sit here in my usual spot in our hotel room with just a couple of days left in Spring Training, I am left to ponder about all that has happened in the last seven weeks. Sometimes I laugh (out loud) when I think about how much baseball impacts every part of our life. To you reading and everyone who surrounds us that isn't in our baseball family it is just a sport that is on TV April through November, but it is so much more. 

It's what my husband and many other husbands to women I have met in baseball's deepest most sacred dream. It's something we eat, live, breath, drink, worry over, cheer over and pray over for God to bless our husband's with another day in. It's the sport that I dream about when Jess can one day take our little boy (if there is one) to "work" with him so he can chase him around the locker room and field. Or when I can dress our little girl in "Daddy's #1 Fan" shirts and dresses. Baseball is not just Jess' lively-hood. He said to me the other day "I love this game", and although those words seem like just a statement I could hear the depth and sincerity in his voice when he said it. 

It is no secret that Jess has had a rough couple of years playing. In all reality compared to other guys he hasn't had it that bad. I think the rate he breezed through the minor league system in the Cardinals Organization trumped him into thinking that the work of a professional athlete was easy and in REALITY it isn't. It is just something we have to learned to accept. I will say that even though things have not always gone our way I believe that we are put in the places that God needs us to be and in the end that is the only place I want us to be. Where we need to be. 

As I start to pack up our stuff and get ready to head on to our next destination I always have a few hundred emotions stirring inside of me. The excitement of where we will be going next, the nervousness of adjusting to a new place, the scariness of meeting new people, the cluelessness of where to grocery shop, where the post office is and what neighborhoods not to venture out in. The love and admiration I have for Jess in how hard it is to keep working at achieving his dream always reminds me why we do this. The power of God and his many blessings remind me that we can do this and I am so thankful he picked us to do it together. 

Here is to season 2013! God willing may it be the best yet!

Love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment